Live-in Caregiver

Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to perform unsupervised home care to children, the elderly or the disabled. Caregiver must live in the private residence where they work in Canada.

To qualify for the Caregiver Program in Canada, you must meet certain requirements.

You will need the following :

An opinion on the favorable labor market from an employer in Canada

Before you hire, your employer must:
  • request to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada / Service Canada (HRSDC / SC) to review its offer of employment and
  • receive HRSDC / SC notice to the labor market elata (LMO).
You will need a copy of this LMO when you apply for a work permit.

Written contract with your future employer, signed by you and your employer

The law requires that you and your future employer sign a written employment contract. You must submit a signed contract with your application for a work permit. This contract must be identical to that which was submitted to HRSDC / SC from your employer.

Completed successfully and which are equivalent to a high school diploma in Canada

You must have successfully completed studies at a level equivalent to that of Canadian secondary school (high school). In most Canadian provinces, it takes 12 years of study to graduate from high school.

Minimum of six months of training, or minimum one year of full-time paid experience in the past three years

You must have worked for a year, including six months of continuous work on behalf of the employer. This work experience must be within a field or profession connected with the work you do as a caregiver. This experience must have been gained over the three years immediately preceding the date on which you submitted your application for work permit as a caregiver, OR;

You should have received this training by attending an educational institution full-time. You may have studied in areas such as early childhood education, care for the elderly, pediatric nursing or first aid.

Good knowledge of English or French

You must be able to read, speak and understand French or English to communicate without help from anyone in the house of your employer.